The key to keeping your peak charge as low as possible is spreading out your usage on Peak Days between 3 and 8 p.m. so you're not drawing a lot of kW at once. See below for some practical tips for lowering usage:
- Cook dinner using a grill or a countertop appliance such as an air fryer, instant pot, or crock pot.
- Load the electric clothes dryer, but wait to run it until after 8 p.m.
- Load the dishwasher, but wait to run it until after 8 p.m.
- Pre-cool your home by running your air conditioner until the peak time starts at 3 p.m.
- If you have an electric water heater, avoid using a lot of hot water between 3 and 8 p.m.
- Avoid running your pool pump from 3 to 8 p.m.
- For those with electric vehicles, wait to charge them until after 8 p.m.
For more information, see our Energy Use Basics page.