Heartland Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc. (Heartland), a member-owned electric utility powering rural lifestyles for more than 8,000 members throughout eastern Kansas, is focused on creating value for its consumer-members by increasing electric reliability and improving efficiencies. Heartland is now seeking a Distribution Engineering Intern to help design and build the next generation of our electric system.
The ideal candidate should be enrolled in an ABET accredited engineering program, with interest in pursuing a career with an electric utility upon completion of their education.
Heartland’s engineering staff are asked to do many tasks. This position requires an individual who is curious, innovative, self-driven, and highly motivated. No two days will be the same.
The Distribution Engineering Intern will be tasked with completing many projects that will help Heartland find innovative ways to expand smart grid technologies between the substation and meter, and challenged to use the Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), Outage Management System, (OMS), and Geographical Information System (GIS) data in a manner that will allow Heartland to continue to provide its member-owners with safe, affordable, and reliable electric service.
The Distribution Engineering Intern will:
- Learn and complete a variety of engineering system modeling studies, including capacitor placement, load balance, sectionalizing, etc.
- Complete system studies for distributed generation (DG) systems that have requested interconnection with the electric system.
- Evaluate new programs to help increase the reliability of the electric system.
- Work closely with the line design team to develop new best practices to simplify the process of designing new power lines.
- Complete field reviews of line construction projects to verify design and construction standards are followed.
- Ensure that all system line construction is built in accordance with RUS and NESC standards.
- Be eager to work, learn, and grow in professional skills and technical knowledge.
This position is for the summer of 2024 and has the potential for future full-time work. Heartland offers an excellent pay and benefits package.
Interested parties are to direct inquiries to Human Resources and submit the following: (1) cover letter; (2) resume; (3) three professional references; (4) a letter of recommendation from advisor or professor within the college department of your major.
All applications must be received by February 29, 2024, and sent to:
Heartland Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc.
c/o Waona Brennon
PO Box 40
Girard, KS 66743
or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All Replies Are Confidential.