Heartland Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc. (HREC), a member-owned electric distribution utility based in southeast Kansas, is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Tree Trimmer.
The Tree Trimmer plays a critical role in ensuring the members of HREC have continuous and reliable electric service by providing clean, clear, and attractive rights-of-way.
Additionally, this position must cultivate and sustain an environment of trust where employees take personal responsibility for safety. Our team members must care for each other, care about the members, and strive to do what’s right.
This position will initially be based out of HREC's Girard office but will transition to working from Fort Scott after construction is complete on a new facility.
HREC offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and outstanding benefits including a pension AND a 401(k) with matching employer contributions. HREC is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested parties are to direct inquires to Human Resources and submit a resume and three professional references.
Resumes may be sent via email to email@example.com or mailed to:
Heartland Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 40
Girard, Kansas, 66743
Resumes must be received by January 20, 2023.
- Supports the organization by having sufficient knowledge of programs and services offered and professionally representing the organization in a positive manner. Contributing to high organizational and team performance through a commitment to excellence.
- Accepts challenges and supports change within the organization. Demonstrates commitment and overcomes resistance through resourcefulness and creative problem solving.
- Allocates time and attention based on what is most important to achieve key goals and objectives.
- Maintains a safe working environment by adhering to policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Operates tools and equipment necessary to clear utility right-of-way through cutting, climbing, dragging, and chipping brush and trees. Includes operation of bucket trucks, chippers, chip trucks, skid steers, chainsaws, and climbing tools.
- Applies chemicals for the control of brush and trees in rights-of-way using recommended techniques and caution for the environment.
- Demonstrates safe and efficient operation of assigned equipment in and around energized or de-energized conductors.
- Communicates necessary information to landowners, supervisors, and client representatives regarding right-of-way clearing. Notifies landowners prior to beginning work.
- Completes and submits daily reports electronically. Communicates daily activities, footages, information, working hours, and other information as requested in daily reports.
- Reads and interprets instructions, systems maps, and plans necessary to perform right-of-way clearing.
- Conducts self in a manner which will lead to the best possible working relationship between the Cooperative and other members of the crew or other employees of the Cooperative.
- Responsible for wearing proper PPE for work being completed, and for having tools in safe condition.
- Complies with all traffic laws, rules and regulations while operating a Cooperative vehicle and practices proper traffic procedures.
- Participates and assists with job site tailgate discussions, monthly safety meetings, and training classes when required.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
About Heartland Rural Electric Cooperative:
Heartland is a financially sound, member-owned, electric distribution cooperative providing service with 11,300 meters on over 3,800 miles of line. Heartland provides electric service to its consumer-members, which are located in parts of 12 different counties in Southeast Kansas. Heartland’s headquarters is located in Girard, Kansas, the county seat of Crawford County, 120 miles south of Kansas City and 45 miles northwest of Joplin, Missouri. The area offers all the advantages of small communities, low cost of living and an abundance of outdoor activities.
Job Related Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Have and maintain a valid Class "A" Commercial Driver's License.
- Familiarity with the Cooperative systems geography and system maps.
- Familiarity with the National Electrical Safety Code and RUS Right-of-Way Clearing Specifications.
- Ability to acquire skills in the operation of equipment and apparatus used in ROW clearing.
- Shall be trained and required to perform First Aid, CPR and Bucket Truck rescue at required intervals.
- Ability to recognize and mitigate hazards.
- Ability to perform work out of a bucket within the recommended weight limitations set by the manufacturer.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, work sheets, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to complete routine reports and other paperwork, as directed.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts.
- Ability to carry out instructions presented in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to recognize and solve problems.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to exercise good judgment with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to handle confidential information with integrity.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of the Cooperative.
- Demonstrate poise, tact, and diplomacy in daily interaction with Cooperative members and staff.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
- Frequently lifts and/or moves up to fifty (50) pounds and occasionally lifts and/or moves up to one hundred (100) pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Speaking to others to convey information effectively.
- Frequently exposed to high, precarious places, outside weather conditions, extreme cold and extreme heat.
- Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes, or airborne particles, and vibration.
- Moderate noise level.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.